Yoga For Weight Reduction
I am 5 ft 4" height and my weight is 80 kgs. I am 34 years old with one child of 6 years old through c-section. I have a larger hip and big thighs. I want to reduce the weight near lower abdomen, hip(butts) and thighs. I have no thyroid problems. Can any one suggest me what asanas to do to reduce the fat/weight from lower abdomen, hips(butts) and thighs and also for inch lose in these areas.
Further whether suryanamaskar helps in reducing the weight and the extra muscle from the back of the body.
The most effective method to reduce weight is to reduce the number of calories you eat. For that self discipline in eating habits is a must.
Yoga poses are performed slowly and may not burn enough calories to facilitate fast weight loss. If you do yoga and your diet is not balanced in terms of nutrition and calories, weight loss will not take place. However to have weight loss body must burn calories more than what we consume through our food.
Therefore weight loss with yoga is possible only if we eat frugally as per yogic principles, i.e a handful of food in each meal. With intense yoga practice, our craving for food also goes down gradually and we can lose weight with yoga.
Here are some suggestions for you:
1. Analyse your eating pattern and if required take professional advice to limit number of calories you eat.
2. Supplement your yoga practice with jogging, walking or any other game/ exercise in order to burn more calories.
3. Suryanamaskars are a great way to build up strength, flexibility and it also helps to lose weight if you can do more number of repetitions (say more than 21). If you have spare time, you can do surya namaskars in the morning and evening.
4. Once you reduce weight it will be easy to maintain it with proper diet control and yoga practice.
5. Include the following asanas and pranayama in your yoga practice:
~ Standing Position
Tadasana (Palm Tree pose)
Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
~ Sitting Position
Janu Sirshasana ((Forehead to knee pose)
Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fish pose)
~ Supine Position
Pawanmuktasana (Wind relieving pose)
Navasana (Boat pose)
Halasana (Plough pose)
Uttanpadasana (Raised Feet Pose)
~ Prostrate Position
Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
Shalabhasana (Locust pose)
~ Pranayama (Yoga Breathing)
Anuloma-Viloma (Alternate Nostril Breathing)
Suryabhedana (Right Nostril breathing)
For further reading you can also refer to
Yoga for weight loss
Yoga for abdomen and heavy hips
How to lose tummy fat
Hope this helps
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Yoga for weight loss.