Studies Burnout and Yoga
Hello.. I am Tushaar. I had a burnout as I am nearly studying 15 hours a day for last 5 months as my psychologist told me. I was under massive amount of stress and one day it all exploded in my head. Although I still want to study but my concentration and focus is Nil. Which yoga practices should I practice?
1. Studying 15 hours a day means that you may not have got time for proper rest and sleep. Lack of exercise, sleep deprivation and stress of examinations puts lot of mental strain on our mind.
2. Remember that birthplace of all stress is our human mind. It gets accumulated in our mind. Remove the conditions that produce stress and it will vanish.
3. Do not keep worrying about the exam, past actions or future. Be focused and think of the time available to you now. God has given you the time to do karma and positive karma will bring results.
4. Plan your studies well and reserve some time for little bit of walking, yoga or any other exercise.
5. While studying ensure that you maintain correct posture and back is straight. Incorrect posture results in sub optimal breathing and stresses our muscles and backbone.Around 30 minutes of yoga in a day will help you to get over the feelings of stress and burnout.
6. Stretching Asanas will contract and stretch most of the muscles of your body which will help in relaxing the muscles and your body. You can practice simple asanas like surya namaskar, tadasana, trikonasana, parvatanasana and bhujangasana.
7. Learn to breathe properly can soothe your nervous system and help in relaxation. Proper breathing ensures sufficient oxygen to brain and all other organs of body. As you will not have much spare time due to studies; practice rhythmic breathing and alom vilom. If your health is good and you do not have any known health problem, you can practice kapalabhati pranayama.
8. Deep Relaxation can be achieved by shavasana for 5 minutes followed by yoga nidra.
9. For better concentration, sit in padmasana or sukhasana and practice 'aum' recitation while maintaining your attention on 'trikuti', the point corresponding to center of eyebrows.
10. In addition, anytime you feel stressed, you can practice rhythmic breathing for 5 minutes while lying in shavasana. If you have spare time, practice yoga nidra also.
Hope this helps.