Pranayama To Lose Weight By Reducing Appetite
I would like to reduce my appetite, so I can lose weight. Which pranayama help in weight loss? How long should one practice each pranayama eg for 15 minutes a day or something like that? And how long will it take for it to actually have some effect on me?
I have a lot of difficulty controlling my desire to eat and will often eat beyond the point of fullness. I think my thyroid is also getting sluggish. I am getting a lot of water retention and have put on 3 kilos in the past six months. I have arthritis and walking on the treadmill has become difficult so have started yoga and would like to learn about breathing for weight loss and stress relief. Answer
It seems you are under the impression that doing pranayama alone can reduce weight, but this is not true.
1. It is not advisable to do pranayama alone without doing asanas. First we have to get comfortable with asanas before attempting pranayama. Your body must be fit to assimilate the flow of energy released during pranayama. Pranayama have to be integrated with your daily practice of yoga asanas, relaxation and meditation.
2. Yoga practice for weight loss will essentially include
~ Strong will power to control eating.
~ Regular yoga practice.
~ Yoga practice should include asanas, pranayama, relaxation and meditation. Sarvangh asana is considered good for boosting
3. After doing yoga asanas, do rhythmic deep breathing (5-10 minutes), alom vilom (5-10 minutes), bhramri (10 breaths), ujjayi (10 breaths). If you do not have high blood pressure, you can attempt kapalabhati pranayama also. Start with 30-40 exhalations.
4. With practice, you can yourself increase the duration of pranayama. In case you feel any discomfort at any time, stop doing pranayama.
5. Although kapalabhati pranayama aids weight loss but it should not be practiced as a singular means of weight reduction. Also increase the number of exhalations very gradually over a period of several weeks.
6. After pranayama take adequate rest in shavasana and do yoga nidra for complete relaxation. Take adequate sleep (7 to 8 hours) at night.
7. When you feel comfortable with yoga asanas and pranayama, start with meditation. You can spend 20 to 30 minutes for meditation. During meditation, repeat affirmations for controlling your diet.
8. With regular yoga practice and complete relaxation, you will be able to get over the emotional eating aspect.
9. Till you control your eating habits and opt for long term lifestyle changes, weight gained will return soon.
10. We can sum up saying that pranayama will definitely aid in weight loss if you have maintain a relaxed and strong body. Eat healthy and nutritious diet in as much quantity that is essential for meeting requirements of your body.
Hope this helps.