Surya Bhedi Pranayama
This pranayama is called Surya bhedi as its practice stimulates the solar nadi or the nerves controlled by the sun.
Read general guidelines for pranayama before starting surya bhedi pranayama.
- Sit on your favourite Asana (
Vajra asana or
in a well ventilated room free from any
distractions. Keep the waist, back, neck and spine erect. For
beginners, you can sit on a chair or sit cross legged on the yoga mat/
keeping your back, neck and spine erect. Inhaling and exhaling should
be slow and it should not make noise. Keep the breathing exercise easy
and enjoy it. Do not tax your body. Any time you feel discomfort,
discontinue and take rest.
- For closing the right nostril, it should be pressed with thumb of
right hand. For closing the left right nostril, it should be pressed
with ring finger of right hand. Keep the other hand on your knee.
- Alternate method. For closing the right nostril, it should
be pressed with thumb of right hand. For closing the left right
nostril, it should be pressed with ring finger of right hand.
- Initially your hands will get tired easily, so you can use either of the hands. One hand gets tired , use other hand.
Steps For Suryabhedi Pranayama
- Inhale slowly through the right nostril and fill up your lungs to maximum capacity.
- Hold your breath.(Do not hold breath initially for 2- 3
months, practice only inhalation and exhalation). Do not hold breath at
all if you are suffering from heart disease, asthma.
- Exhale through the left nostril slowly, rhythmically.
- If we call this one set. Repeat five sets and gradually increase to ten sets.
- While doing surya bhedi pranayama one should breathe in through the right nostril and breathe out through the left nostril.
- When you have gained sufficient practice for 2-3 months practice
retention of breath. Keep the ratio of time taken for inhalation,
breath holding and exhalation as (1:4:2). For starters, do not hold
breath, keep the ratio of inhalation-exhalation to (1:2).
- Increases the flow of gall and reduce phlegm and gas.
- Provides energy and body warmth.
- Purifies the blood and increases and improves digestion.
- Delays onset of old age.
- People with hypertension should not do this pranayama.
- This pranayama should not be done during summer. People living in cold countries can do it even in summer.
Surya Bhedi Pranayama