Tadasana (Palm Tree Pose)
Tadasana derives its name from Sanskrit word "Tada" meaning a 'palm tree'. In this asana body looks like a palm tree. It is also known as mountain pose. Regular practice of this asana increases height and improves our posture.
Stand erect on the floor. Legs, waist and neck all should be in a
straight line. Your weight should be evenly spread on the feet. Keep both the feet together, toes should be well aligned. Hands on the side of the body palms facing the thighs.
- While inhaling, raise both your arm together in upwards direction. In the final position, arms are raised upwards parallel to each other, palms are facing each other. Alternatively, you may clasp your hands as shown and raise both hands slowly upwards and both the palms are facing upwards.
- Retain breath, slowly lift your heels so that you stand on your
toes. Stretch all of your body upwards as far as possible. Keep your
legs and arms straight (no bending). Stay in the pose for 15 seconds.
- While exhaling, slowly bring your hands down. Bring your heels on the floor as in starting position.
- Repeat this asana 2 to 3 times. Try to increase the duration you can stay in this asana.
- After sufficient practice, while you are standing on your toes,
take 4 steps forward and 4 steps backwards. This will improve your
grace while walking.
Tadasana In Supine Position
Lie down in supine position. Hands by the side of body, palms facing
downwards. Legs, waist and neck all should be in a straight line.
- While inhaling, raise both arms slowly upwards and place the arms
behind your head. Both the arms parallel to each other, palms facing
- Retain breath. Stretch your hands and feet in opposite
directions as far as possible. Keep your legs and arms straight (no
- While exhaling, slowly bring your hands to the starting position.
Repeat this asana four times. Try to increase the duration you can stay in this asana position.
- This asana increases height.
- The vertebral column and heart are strengthened. Good for regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Cures indigestion.
- Strengthens arms and legs and helps to remove lethargy.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.