Need Advice With My Daily Yoga Poses
(Bangalore, Karnataka, India)
Hello.. I have undergone yoga classes at Art of Living center and have been practicing Sudarshan Kriya and yoga since 2005. In 2008-09 my right hand shoulder was diagnosed as Impingement/ Frozen shoulder without any pain, this caused my yoga practice to be irregular.
During 2009 I had serious health issue which resulted me to stop all my yoga practice. Right now I am quite fine, I started my yoga practice but again not regular. However, I am pretty much confused when I take up asanas and am not sure what would be best for me. I am listing here what I do which I am better comfortable with, do let me know if this is enough for to be health and tackle some of health issues I have right now.Yoga What I Practice.
1. Warm up with little running, jumping, neck rotation and shoulder rotation for about 5 mins.
2. Ardha Kati Chakrasana (Half waist rotation pose)
3. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
4. Vrakshasana (Tree Pose)
5. Uttanasana (Not sure in English)
6. 5 Surya Namaskara (Without Mantra)
7. Shalabasana (Locust Pose)
8. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
9. Pvanamuktasana (Wind Removing)
10. Kapalabhati, Bramari, Nadi Shod ( I could do only 2 or 3 as my right hand does not allow me to do Nadi Shod long time.)
11. Ujjai Breathing in different in Chin Mudra, Chinmai Mudra, Adi Mudra, Meru Danda Mudra
12. Sudarshan Kriya. I have following health issues.
1. Little overweight about 86 Kg/ 5 Feet 10 Inch of height.
2. Have higher cholesterol levels
3. Frozen shoulder.
4. Neck and back stiffness.
5. BP comes up to be 148/90 when checked at clinic but at home it would be 130/75.
6. Tummy Fat.
So I just want to know if I follow the aasana as listed above I do get results? With regard to my health issue and be overall healthy?Answer
You have not mentioned your age, lifestyle (sedentary/active) and whether you are taking any medicine for Blood pressure or high cholesterol.
2. Consult your doctor and follow doctor's advice regarding exercise routine and medication.
3. However, you have to work on these aspects:-
~ Refine yoga sequence as per requirement.
~ Focus on proper rest and relaxation. For this practice meditation after doing yoga and pranayama.
~ Reducing weight by at least 6 to 10 kg in a gradual manner is most essential for you. This will also help you in tackling cholesterol, tummy fat and high blood pressure.
~ Eat pure satvik yogic diet.
~ Take up walking for an hour, it will be helpful in improving blood circulation, reducing cholesterol and burning calories to lose weight.
4. Suggested Yoga Sequence
~ Warm up with little running, jumping, neck rotation and shoulder rotation for about 5 mins.
~ Ardha Kati Chakrasana (Half waist rotation pose)
~ 5 Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutations)
~ Shavasana (Corpse Pose)( 60 sec)
~ Uttanpada Asana (Leg Raise Pose) (10 sec)
~ Pavanamuktasana (Wind Removing) (10 sec)
~ Shalabasana (Locust Pose) (10 sec)
~ Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) (10 sec)
~ Makrasana (Crocodile Pose) for rest and relaxation (60 sec)
~ Tadasana (Mountain Pose) (10 sec)
~ Vrikshasana (Tree Pose) (10 sec)
~ Shavasana (60 sec)
Pranayama Practice (Avoid kapalabhati)
~ Rhythmic Deep Breathing ( 3 X 10 times)
~ Bhramri Pranayama (3 X 5 times)
~ Nadi Shodhana (5 minutes to 10 minutes) ( try to do with left hand)
~ Ujjai Breathing in different in Chin Mudra, Chinmai Mudra, Adi Mudra, Meru Danda Mudra
~ Sudarshan Kriya
~ Shavasana (5 minutes)
Meditation/ Yoga nidra is advisable after your yoga practice or you can do later on at some other time of day.
Hope this helps. I request that you share your progress in yoga with our site visitors.
All the best.